Monday 1 June 2015

**Review** Nail Water Decals - BornPrettyStore

Hello!

I was recently contacted by Born Pretty Store to ask if I would like to review some of their products - of course I jumped at the chance to try out some of their stuff! Is there a better place to buy all of your nail art items? I think not! If you haven't yet stumbled across BPS, you are missing a treat!

My items arrived this week and I have three review posts to feature my new stuff. The first in line are these super bright geometric water decals. I chose product QJ-248*, which reminded me of colourful pixels! I loved the fact that the colours and pattern is random and how bright it appeared on the store page. When they arrived I was pleased to see that the colours are just as vivid in real life.

review-bornprettystore-water-decals
Available to buy here

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-pixel
Pixel water decals

I was a little disappointed when I first opened the decal, as it looks like such a tiny square ("how will I fit this on ten nails?!" was my panicky cry to my boyfriend), but it goes a surprisingly long way and I even had leftovers! As these decals aren't of individual items (such as these adorable owl designs), if you have particularly long nails it may be worth purchasing two sets to fit them on all nails.

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-size
One sheet of water decals

Having never tried water decals, I was a little nervous that it would be a total failure (as we all know practice makes perfect), but I'm pleased to say that the decals were super easy to use, and that all errors appeared to be with my own technique/application rather than a fault of the actual product. 

The instructions on the back of the packet are quite straightforward (see below). The basic idea is to paint your nails in a base colour of your choice, remove the plastic film from the decal, cut to size and then dunk into water for 10-20 seconds. After this time the transfer should then easily slide from the cardboard backing (think of kids temporary tattoos!) and you can place it on your nail and finish with topcoat.

I chose my new favourite white from MoYou London as a base - 'White Knight'. This polish is opaque in one generous coat, and white allowed the colours of the decal to pop!

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-moyou-london
MoYou London 'White Knight'


review-bornprettystore-water-decals-instructions
Water decal instructions
The instructions say to 'blow dry'. I must admit I did not do this step as I didn't think it was needed. Actually, on one or two nails I had the issue of the decal being too dry, so I lightly wet my fingernail to help the decal to adhere. This seemed to work perfectly and in general the decals transferred to my nails easily.

Here is the finished design:

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-nails
Water decal manicure


I used Rimmel 'Black Out' to contrast the colours in the transfers. 


review-bornprettystore-water-decals-nails
I love how vibrant the colours are over a white base
As you can see from the photos, I had a bit of trouble keeping the design intact once it was on the nail. I discovered through trial and error that this was due to adding topcoat too quickly (so the transfer 'dragged' and tore), and also from hasty clean-up. Here is a close-up of the topcoat issue:

And so, for once, wrapping my tip was not a good idea!

Overall I am very pleased to have finally tried water decals, especially as they are so quick and easy to use. These geometric style decals add a fun pattern and lots of colour to your nails in no time at all! Plus, I even have some left over to practice more, although I am definitely going to be ordering these, these and these from BornPrettyStore.com soon!

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-nails
Leftovers!


The water decals shown here can be purchased from this page for $2.18 (less than £1.50!) Use my code CESH10 to get 10% off your order. Did I also mention that BornPretty do free worldwide shipping?! No excuses not to give them a go ;)

review-bornprettystore-water-decals-nails
The finished look


Thanks for reading!

Helen x

*Items provided by BornPrettyStore for my impartial review



No comments:

Post a Comment